Millions of people read their horoscopes in the newspaper, then go about their day. Although, these horoscopes can be fun, they can be misleading. Newspaper horoscopes only scratch a very wide surface, and to dig deeper here are 5 things you should know about astrology when reading your horoscope. Out of the billions of people who inhabit tuvisomenh the earth, how could they possibly be categorized by only twelve zodiac signs? Have you ever met a Cancer who did not want kids? Or a passive Aries without a stubborn bone in his body? The explanation for this is, that there were other planetary energies imprinted on them at birth. This is the case for every person who was ever born. These five basics might shed some light, and hopefully get you interested in studying astrology at a deeper level.
1. The horoscope you read in the newspaper is for your Sun sign only. This is the zodiac sign that most people are familiar with. You are born from “this date to this date”, therefore you are this “sign”. This is referring to the constellation or “sign” the Sun was in at the moment of your birth. This is the same for the Moon, Mars, Venus, etc. These planets were set in a particular sign as well. You could have many planets in one sign and none in the other. We all have a unique specific chart that is drawn at our first breath and the Sun Sign is only part of this.
2. The Sun sign is very important it represents the self. But the other planets in our solar system play a part as well. To start it is good to focus on the three major influences which would be the Sun, the Moon, and the Rising Sign (Ascendant). Where the Sun represents the self and your journey, the Moon represents your emotions, secrets, and childhood. It is easy to find your Moon and Ascendant. But, you do need to know the exact time and place of birth. There are many free places online to get a birth chart, I suggest astrodienst.com to have a free birth chart drawn for you.
3. The Ascendant (Rising Sign) is the sign that was rising in the east at the moment of birth. It is associated with physical appearance and how you project yourself to others. It could be classified as the “mask” you wear for the world. This does not mean that it is a false persona, it is simply how others see you, and your impression. This is a very important part of the horoscope and it is widely believed to be just as important as the Sun sign. Therefore, it is wise to read both the Sun sign horoscope, as well as, the Ascendant.
4. The horoscope in the paper is based on the planets’ influences, and their placements on that particular date. If, for instance, Mercury is strong in the heavens on that date, you will be successful in communicating with others. (Generally most people have Mercury in the same sign as their Sun.) This is the case for all twelve zodiac signs being written for that day. Which can be misleading because it is just too general and Sun sign specific. For example, if you are a Cancer (Sun sign) and it says it is going to be a productive work day, if you do not have Saturn in Cancer then it would not be fully accurate. (Saturn is associated with work and career)
5. An important thing to remember is that your newspaper horoscope is a very broad and brief interpretation of the Sun sign. These horoscopes are written to accommodate a wide range of readers and for the most part can be very vague. If it says there is love, then it is touching on a Venus influence in your sign, if it mentions work or career, that would be Saturn etc. It is important to find where these planets play a part in your horoscope and go from there. Remember a good place to focus on in the beginning would be the Sun, Moon, and the Ascendant.
Astrology can help you look at situations in a different light. If you are reading the horoscope in the newspaper for fun and to kill time, then you should be content with what the newspaper offers. If you have a serious interest, and are reading for legitimate insight and guidance, then you need to cast your chart. You will be amazed at the result, and will get much more out of this ancient science. Astrology can be a wonderful study for those interested in the human personality. It can help schedule events, predict compatibility, and even uncover issues that may have been hidden in the subconscious.